11/17/11

Joseph's view of Journalism

Joseph was instructed to post a few thoughts on Journalism, for his FLVS course:

When I first started taking Journalism from FLVS, I understood a Journalist to be someone who reported the news—whether through a news agency, or as an individual. I knew that the purpose of Journalism was to disseminate accurate, unbiased information regarding current events, in an ethical manner. (Opinion writing is fine, as long as it is clearly labeled as “Opinion”)

“Ethical manner”, of course, means providing information in a way which will ultimately honor God.

Now that I’m nearly completed the Journalism course, my view of Journalism has slightly changed. The biggest things the course has done for me, is to help me differentiate between when “fact” and “opinion” are being presented. Often, I note that large news sources (Such as Fox, CNN, and Politico) are biased either for or against something (the Occupy movement, for example) simply because of the adjective they use. Adjectives must be carefully, picked.

(By the way, this is an opinion piece!)

As for my future career, I am sure it will involve Journalism in some way. I’ve always enjoyed writing, and often have contemplated pursuing a career as a news/sports anchor. I believe the career field for aspiring Journalists grows larger with the advent of new technology. Though departments change, the need for unbiased reporters with integrity is still vitally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment